After completing my
social studies lesson in my clinical, I feel a lot more prepared for what
social studies looks like in a classroom.
I implemented a lesson about doing things on accident and on purpose in
my Kindergarten classroom.
When I began my lesson, I felt a little uneasy. I had been rehearsing what I was going to say
and do for the past week. When I got in
front of my students, I realized that this lesson would have to be a little
more flexible considering there were three students gone, some behavior issues,
and overall being in the classroom with my cooperating teacher once the week
before, the same week I met her. I was still unfamiliar with simple routines
such as how she calls students, how they sign to go to the restroom, and how to
address the noise issue. I started out
my lesson at the SMART board playing a feelings game with the characters from
the television show Arthur. I chose one
student to start the game and had her choose a friend to come up next and so
on. Since this was the introduction to
my lesson, there was no way all the students would be able to come up to the
board, and I believe some students got frustrated at this fact. Reflecting on this experience, I think a
better way to handle this game would be to have the students show on their
hands which answer to choose on the board, one, two, or three. This would have
been active engagement by all of the students and allowed everyone to voice
their opinion. After the game, I introduced
the silent video clip that shows a boy doing something on accident and fixing
the problem himself. The students were
very engaged in this aspect of the lesson. When I posed the question whether
what happened in the video was on purpose or on accident I would have rather
used the method we just observed in my 277 class, which was students holding their
hands up to their mouths and “blowing” the answer they wanted to share in and
then all say the answer as a class, allowing every student to answer. When I asked what the boy did to fix the
accident, I should have done a turn and talk.
This would have allowed every student to reflect on this question and it
may have possibly lead to a further discussion.
After the video talk, I went to the board and wrote a t-chart with “on
accident” on one side and “on purpose” on the other. I asked students to share examples of each
and I wrote it on the board under the respective column. During this time, I think the students would
have benefited from me reading the words aloud and possibly having the students
turn and talk when I asked for examples.
After, I gave the students an example of what they would be doing at
their seats, which was looking at a problem card and writing on a piece of
paper if it was an accident or on purpose and drawing a solution on how to fix
it. When I released them back to their seats, there were some issues with partnering
since there were absences and also with the clarity of the instructions. The students did do very well with analyzing
the photo and drawing a solution. This
was supposed to only last seven minutes, but I went over while I was helping
groups and then the students were released back to the rug and shared out.
My objective for this lesson was: “Students will be able
to identify what to say when they do something by accident. Students will also demonstrate saying how
they can think of ways to fix things that happen “on accident” or “on purpose”.”
I do believe I met the later objective, but I did not focus in on what to say
when something happens on purpose or accident, due to the fact I abandoned my
conclusion because I ran over the time limit. My assessment tool was using a
checklist to see if they correctly identified the problem and drew and accurate
solution based on the picture. Over all,
all but one group achieved this goal. I think it was a good assessment tool
because it can be used as documentation.
All in all, I definitely earned a lot from this
experience. I learned that I need to
focus in on better time management skills, which I will do next time by having
a time timer or a watch and sticking to it.
Another thing I learned was that although I used thumbs up and thumbs
down for checks for understanding, which is not the only thing I have to
use. It made me feel a little
overwhelmed and then I went back to having the students raise hands, which is
not effective because I am not seeing if the whole class is learning. I will use the checks for understanding tip
sheet on the Wiki to better my skills with this for my future lessons. I will also use more turn and talks and also
try the “blowing the balloon” method. The major thing I learned as well was
that I need to repeat instructions multiple times to be sure all students
understand, especially in this grade level.
Since it was my second time meeting my CT, I do think that it was a
disadvantage that I did not know all her routines or pick up on how many times I
needed to give instructions. I would definitely implement this lesson again,
just with the mini-lesson and workshop model.
I think it would be more effective to have this as a workshop that
students visit over the course of the week and that I could work one on one with
the students with it.
Jordan,
ReplyDeleteI was so pleasantly surprised to see you cross-post your reflection here. That is very brave of you to share your personal reflections with the blogging world. I'll be excited to read others' comments and feedback back to you. Although there were areas that could have been strengthened in this lesson (as there always will be;), you had some major strengths here! Don't forget those!
:)Kira