Hello! My name is Jordan Manley and I am a senior at
ISU. I am majoring in ECE because I love working with children and
helping them to learn new things. Since high school, I have wanted to be
a teacher after working with at risk kids in elementary schools. I work at
the YWCA in the three year old room and I absolutely love it. I have
worked there for about a year now. I commute from Minonk to ISU. I
have a Maltese along with an older brother. My family means the most to me
and I always strive to make them proud. I am also obsessed with country
music and concerts.
I have a few goals
for myself. I hope to excel in this class by learning fully about my
students in the clinical. I hope this opportunity will also allow me to
find out more about myself as a future teacher. I hope this will take me
far in my teaching career. I want to learn more about how to transition
into different subjects. I think this is
a really important skill to have to keep students engaged in what they are
learning and also to not create too much chaos.
I also hope to
establish a secure network in which I can rely on to help me during my student
teaching and also during my teaching career. I believe this will be
established in this clinical block. We
are creating this blog to help set connected and also to connect to other early
childhood educators. We also will be
creating this through Pinterest this semester.
I already have created some great lessons from ideas on Pinterest in my
three year old classroom at the YWCA.
I also hope to take away all that I learn in all of my
content classes and take that material into the clinical site. This will
happen by completing the many lessons we will be creating this semester. I think that I will gain a lot of knowledge
of reflecting and how to better prepare lessons during this time.
I hope that I will learn from my CT and I also hope that she
can learn from me. I really hope I will learn to become more confident in
all of my classes so that way I can reach my full potential as a teacher. I think part of this will be involved in
establishing a better foundation of teaching.
By that I mean, being confident in how I teach and also what I teach and
why. This semester also includes another
learner’s demographic assignment that will help me to know what the makeup of
the student group is. I think this also
helps me to find out how to better meet their needs.
I think this semester will be a great learning
experience. I cannot wait to get into my
clinical placement and implement more improved lessons than I have in the
past. This semester is already looking
bright!


Jordan,
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you took the time to tell us a little more about yourself and your life outside of ISU. I think you have a very strong set of goals in place for this semester. One thing you mentioned was forming a working network with peers and co teachers. I think this is definitely something we will all get better at and all have to work at this semester. Our class has struggled with this in the past. Do you have any plans in place as to how you will make this process easier for yourself and others this semester?
I think it is important to take what we learn in our content area classes and apply it to our clinical placements. One way I might do this is writing down a few things each week that I will implement. I will then continue adding to the list each week. This idea may not work for you but I am definitely a person that functions off of a list.
Learning from my CT is a big part of what I want to do this semester. Last semester I had a great experience with this. I just had to make sure I was asking the appropriate questions at the appropriate time. I’m excited to see where this semester takes us all!
Jordan,
ReplyDeleteI love your strong outlook on the semester! I also really enjoyed learning more about your background and seeing your family photos! I also love country music and concert, so we'll have compare notes on who we've seen last:). When thinking about your goals this semester, I appreciate you making increasing your confidence in yourself a goal that you will work towards. I am wondering what you will do to help build your confidence? Some ideas might be to practice your lessons/ parts of the lessons in front of someone else or even a mirror, to give yourself a tip sheet for lessons to keep you on track, or even to time yourself in advance to help with your time management. I'll be intrigued to learn what you are doing specifically to help meet this goal this semester!
:)Kira